In 1932, Vero Beach was a sleepy seaside village with unpaved streets. The nearest hospital was 70 miles away. Determined to bring healthcare to the community, a young nurse invested hard work and $22,000 of her own money to transform a Dixie Highway hotel into a 21-bed hospital. Garnett Lundsford Radin started the facility that eventually became Indian River Medical Center.
Realizing that donor support was necessary to help the hospital thrive, the Indian River Hospital Foundation was chartered in the 1940s. Radin's personal investment started a legacy of giving back to the community. In 2006, the not-for-profit Foundation became known as Indian River Medical Center Foundation to reflect continuing support of the renamed medical center.
Since 1998, the Foundation has transferred more than $100 million to IRMC for capital improvements and programs. The tremendously successful 21st Century Campaign began in 2004. Ultimately raising $52 million against a $50 million goal, the campaign profoundly impacted the hospital with the opening of the Welsh Heart Center and other new spaces.
And the transformation continues. The Campaign for Excellence in Cancer Care raised $49.5 million against a $48 million goal funding the Scully-Welsh Cancer Center which opened in late 2015. The Scully Endoscopy Center will open in 2018.
Radin could never have imagined the level of sophistication that defines IRMC today. Her philanthropic spirit remains alive in generous donors who make it possible to have the right care, right here.
Achievements Through Donor Support
- Post Chapel
- Emergency Department
- Welsh Heart Center -- Duke Affiliated
- Sheridan Intensive Care Unit
- Waxlax Recovery Room
- Patient Pavilion
- Scully-Welsh Cancer Center -- Duke Affiliated
- Scully Endoscopy Center
- Chaplaincy Program
- Patient Advocate Program
- Clinical Excellence Awards
- Nurse and Employee Education Fund